According to Carron Garvin of the American Society of Mechanical Engineers, when the Folsom Powerhouse “was placed in service [on the American River] July 13, 1895, it represented a momentous advance in the science of generating and transmitting electricity.” The new facility “brought high-voltage alternating current over long distance transmission lines for the first time.”
A plaque notes the importance of the Chinese in developing the powerhouse and surrounding area. This site has been a National Historic Landmark since 1981.
Contact: (916) 988-0205
Submitted by: Sue Fawn Chung
Chinese labor site, National Historic Landmark