The Sun Sun Wo Store is the lone remnant of one of the Mother Lode’s largest Chinatowns. It was the largest store in Coulterville under Chinese ownership, filling extensive orders from the surrounding mines and ranches, not just the local Chinatown. The store remained in continuous operation from 1851 to 1926 and the original shelves and counters are still inside.
Built in 1851 at the corner of Kow and Main, the store was the largest store in the region, and Mow Da Sun and his son Sun Kow owned the store. The store survived the 1899 fire that destroyed most of Coulterville’s large Chinatown.